Q&A | Shobi University (尚美学園大学)
Q&A | Shobi University


Q: I am considering applying for admission to Shobi University.

A: Request the relevant documents from the “Inquiry” link. Also consider experiencing the “Study” by attending the Open Campus.

Q: Please explain the educational system at Shobi University.

A: Education is enriched at Shobi University because it is centered around practical sessions. Participatory practical sessions are continuously conducted so that students acquire practical skills and practical capabilities, as well as presentation abilities, along with team-working abilities, self-realization abilities, problem detection and solving abilities, and the like, which are widely demanded in society, through real life experience.

Q: When and how would a student acquire the resident status for a visa as a “Foreign Student?”

A: International students who have been admitted to the University may acquire the residence status visa qualification “Foreign Student.” The staff members at the International Affairs Office will take full responsibility to make a proxy application on behalf of any individual residing outside Japan to acquire the residence status visa qualification “Foreign Student,” by filing an application for the Certificate of Eligibility for Resident Status once all necessary documents for the application have been prepared.

Q: How much do tuition and other expenses cost?

A: Tuition varies depending on the faculty of attendance. International students may be eligible to receive reductions of up to 30% from their tuition for Years 1 through 4 (This requires screening by the University).

Q: Are scholarships available?

A: A reduction of tuition by up to 30% and other scholarship assistance are available to international students through the University’s own programs, as well as scholarships provided by foundations. There are also special treatments (including tuition exemptions and the like) for students with superior academic performance as honor students.

Q: Is it possible for students to learn the Japanese language after being accepted for admission to the University?

A: International students are required to gain cross-cultural understanding even after being admitted to the University (by taking foreign language courses), and they are encouraged to improve their capabilities by studying the Japanese language. The University also encourages students to sit for Japanese language proficiency tests while they attend the University, and the University reimburses test fees to students who achieve the “N1” certification.

Q: What kind of support is provided for student life?

A: The International Affairs Office provides a diverse range of assistance to “international students working hard in Japan to achieve their dreams,” in order to help international students pursue a fulfilling student life through their support for day to day life in Japan, support for learning the Japanese language, assistance in dealing with the Immigration Bureau, etc.

Q: How would an international student look for accommodations while attending the University?

A: Affiliated student unions and companies that manage condominiums used by students of this University are introduced to the students, since Shobi University does not have any dedicated student dormitories. The University provides a university guarantee (institutional guarantee) on behalf of international students who demonstrate a strong scholastic attitude.
Affiliated student union http://www.gakuseikaikan.com/dp/shobi-u/
Student condominium http://unilife.co.jp/

Q: Is there any assistance for international students to gain employment?

A: Staff members dedicated for international students at the Student Career Center provide support for international students, by conducting activities intended to open up employment and opportunities to participate in internships for international students, as well as assistance for participating in company introduction sessions and support in going through employment interviews. The International Affairs Office provides guidance for students changing their visa status after they receive an unofficial acceptance for employment from an employer.

Q: How is the neighborhood environment of Shobi University?

A: The University is located in the city of Kawagoe. Kawagoe is a typical urban community in Saitama Prefecture and is one of very few educational cities where there are many public and private schools.

Q: Are the University facilities available for use outside class as well?

A: Yes, they are available for use. Students may obtain a permit to use the facilities by presenting their student ID and going through the prescribed procedures for each facility. Students may practice performing their musical instruments or enjoy the University sports facilities.

Q: What time do class sessions start?

A: Class schedules are as follows:
First period: 9:00 to 10:30; Second period: 10:40 to 12:10; Third period: 1:00 to 2:30; Fourth period: 2:40 to 4:10; Fifth period: 4:20 to 5:50; Sixth period: 6:00 to 7:30.

Q: Are students allowed to take courses offered by other departments?

A: Yes, they are. Students may take courses offered by other departments by acquiring permission from their assigned instructor for their department. Up to 12 academic credits of such courses may be used for the academic credits required for graduation.

Q: Is there any consultation available for students who have problems or concerns with their daily

A: The University has infirmaries and counseling rooms, as well as the General Student Assistance Office on campus to provide assistance to students who are experiencing illness or distress. Furthermore, the International Affairs Office offers assistance to ensure that international students enjoy their life at the University.

Q: Is it possible for students to have a tour of Shobi University before taking the entrance exam?

A: Yes, they can. *Please make your inquiry with the International Affairs Office if you would like to visit the University.

Q: I am considering studying at Shobi University as an international student. What are the conditions
and entrance examination for admission to the University?

A: Please refer to the Entrance Examination & Admission Information.

Q: What is life at the University like for international students?

A: When they finish their classes for the day, international students do their production or practical training work, or they may prepare their reports at the library. They each spend their time as they please. There are many students who have part-time work in the evening.

Q: Are international students permitted to have part-time work?

Yes, they are. It is, however, necessary for the students to obtain a permission to engage in activities other than that permitted under the status of residence, and there are governing regulations according to law.
* It is essential that students manage both classes and work well.

Q: Do students have opportunities to return home while attending the University?

A: The University has extended holidays for summer vacation from early August to late September, winter vacation (New Year’s) from late December to early January, and spring vacation from early February to late March. Many students return home during these periods.